Proven professional experience in the field of Housing Inspections for over 30 years, in both the
private sectors, including five years as City Housing Inspector • Worked exclusively in forensics
for the past
12 years • Extensive experience as Expert Witness testifying on Landlord / Tenant Law, Personal
Estate and related practices • Knowledge of Construction Codes (Housing, Building, Electrical,
Mechanical and local requirements) • Ability to convey code findings within litigation context •
plaintiffs and defense. Qualified in most Bay Area Courts as an Expert in Housing Code
Violations • Certified
by FEMA and State of California and accredited by the Housing Inspection Foundation • High
- State Certified Lead Based Paint Inspector
- FEMA Certified Disaster Housing Field Inspector
- Member ICBO / ICC International Conference of Building Officials
- Registered Housing Inspector with The Housing Inspection Foundation
- Member Better Business Bureau (Honor Roll).
- Past Member California Association of Code Enforcement Officers.
Private Housing Inspector, San Francisco Bay Area, CA
SELF-EMPLOYED (January 1995 - Present)
Off-Site Property Management and Repairman, San Francisco Bay Area, CA
- Inspect all types of structures for Construction Code violations
- Generate thorough reports establishing habitability and other related issues
- Reports include detailed itemized findings with floor plans and pictures
- Extensive experience in residential housing and health and safety
- Work is geared specifically for forensic use C High quality, digitized photography C All
digital files (photographs, video, and word processing
documents) available in CD-ROM / DVD media and via web /email
- Provide consulting services to lawyers and other professionals regarding building codes and
- Testify as expert witness pertaining to forensics in court, arbitrations, and/or depositions. C
Aerial photography and videography available.
SELF-EMPLOYED (June 1978 - Present).
Housing Inspector / Code Enforcement Inspector
, (May 1989 - June 1994).
- Responsible for management of residential and commercial properties requiring upkeep
of preventative, periodic, and responsive maintenance C Repair and maintain properties and
when necessary, hire necessary services to rectify conditions and address related issues
- Hire repairpeople, Contractors, sub-contractors and other professionals to tend to issues
- Respond to all tenants' concerns regarding their dwellings and general rental issues C
Interact with owners by assisting in rental issues, evictions,
and other related situations C Send inspection notices, request and respond to city inspections,
records in order to be submitted to ownership and other professionals (i.e. accounting - legal) C
interact with local utility companies, city agencies (i.e. fire department), Rent Board, building /
department, contractors, subcontractors, and maintenance personnel.
CITY OF OAKLAND, Oakland, CA
Office of Planning and Building / Office of Community Development
- C Inspected residential and commercial properties to identify code violations with emphasis
on Housing Code
issues, as well as all other Construction Codes and other related municipal codes (i.e. Traffic,
- Interpreted City Codes and Enforced Compliance through written and oral notices
- Prepared detailed reports for Court and administrative review
- Communicated with the public regarding Housing and Building Codes
- Communicate with the public, perform public speaking to groups C Had continual training
of habitability, construction codes, and other issues by other City departments, other agencies,
- Worked with Oakland Police Department, Community Policing, and SMART (Specialized
Agency Response Team) pertaining to general issues that affected neighbors, neighborhoods, and
the city in
general C Scheduled inspections with Police regarding drug enforcement
- Learned proper use of safety equipment including MACE, bullet proof vests, defensive
TESTIFYING EXPERIENCE AND EXPERTISE
- Testified in 100 plus cases in Limited and Unlimited Jurisdiction Courts, Federal Court,
Hearings, Alternative Dispute Resolution (i.e. JAMS), mediatons, and arbitratons.
- Numerous bench and jury trials
- Worked on civil and criminal cases, class actions, and in pro per type litigation
- Worked on behalf
of plaintiffs and defense, landlords and tenants, "insurance defense", large law offices, and solo
- Qualified and testified extensively with emphasis on code violations, habitability issues,
standards of care for all structures, personal injury, and premise liability
- In addition, testified on bankruptcy and family law cases.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
B.A. Degree, University of California, Berkeley, California, Latin American
Studies, March 1983
Housing related courses:
- Lead Based Paint Inspection and Assessment, UC Berkeley Extension
- Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program; Lead Paint Abatement,
California Department of Health Services
- Earthquake Retrofit Seminar, The Owner Building Center
- Armstrong Resilient Floors Installation Course, Armstrong Installation
- Advanced Landlord and Tenant Law, MCLE (Minimum Continuing Legal
- MCLE Lectures in Landlord-Tenant law pertaining to housing codes.
- Quoted extensively in newsprint by The Oakland Tribune, San Francisco
Chronicle, and other newspapers
regarding habitability, Housing Codes, and mold.
- Interviewed on TV by local Station.
Back to Building Inspector
Back to top of Legal Resources.Pro